I talk to myself. A lot. All day, about everything. Heck, when I’m in class or in public and can’t, I feel like I’m holding my breath (crazy??).
How I Collect Quotes
Most of the quotes I keep are my reactions to everyday stuff or T.V. shows (e.g. Supernatural, TWD – I get very involved with my shows), or from when I play all my characters in a scene as I walk around doing chores; or, sometimes quotes come from my conversations with me. I won’t use 95% of the stuff I collect, but occasionally it contributes to the inspired birth of new characters, scenarios and/or storylines. So I keep everything.
- Mutual Enemy: (darkly pleased) Villain…
- Villain: (sighs)
- Mutual Enemy: DON’T SIGH!
- I hope you like vertical prairies.
- (???) You mean mountains?
- And fluffy antelope.
- (Mountain goats...)
- Does this actually work in real life ooooooooohhhhh – this is real life. Is it WORKING?
- Because I have fabulous hair.
- That is not a reason.
- I beg to differ.
- Hero: What’d you talk about?
- Villain: (honestly) baking cookies.
- Hero: I won’t pressure you if you don’t want to talk about it.
- He made great efforts to ignore my attempts at easing the atmosphere; and I made greater efforts to sabotage his efforts so that ignoring me at all became conditionally impossible, bordering on belligerence.
- I wanted to relocate but it turns out if I do, I’ll die mysteriously.
- Wow, that sucks.
- Yeah, it does.
- [In mountain gear in the mountains] Is that an accordion? I thought we were mountain climbing!
- Hey, did you find my thing?
- What thing?
- The thing I lost. I can’t find it.
- What was it?
- I don’t remember but I remember looking for it.
- [Creepy/weird sounds on other side of door]
- Those are either zombies… or ostriches.
- DON’T LOOK!!!!
- [Casual gesture] My other two weird friends you haven’t met.
(I’ll probably collect these things forever. And then when I’m super old I should compile it all in a single colossal volume of nonsense – as a supplemental to my autobiography which only Megan and I will read, over Papa John’s and yarn. And I’d title it something like: “Here Lies My Brain: I Never Said It’d Make Sense.”) As a writer, what kind of stuff do YOU collect?